“I can not thank you enough for this beautiful gown. I purchased the Lucy gown for my daughter Savannah’s blessing. It felt like she was the belle of the ball. People could not stop commenting, and touching the gown!!! Everyone thought I had it specially made… then when I told them how affordable it was, they were shocked! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! If only I knew about you when I had my first daughter!” –Breezy C.
(We’re so happy you were pleased, Breezy–she is just beautiful!)
So what do you do with your christening gown or christening outfit after the big day? Here are a few suggestions for preserving your child’s heirloom for future generations:
- Dry clean or hand-wash the christening gown or christening outfit as directed on the clothing tag. Stains and body oils can irreparably discolor the fabric. If you hand-wash, avoid using harsh soaps, chlorine bleach, fabric softeners, and starch. Rinse the christening dress or outfit well to remove detergent residues.
- Once your christening gown or christening suit is completely clean and dry, stuff it with clean, acid-free tissue; this will help prevent hard creases that can weaken the fabric. Fold additional tissue into pleats and slip it between layers of fabric.
- Place the christening outfit or gown in a 100% cotton unbleached muslin bag, we have three different lengths to fit your needs. Plastic or vinyl bags are unacceptable for long-term preservation since garments need to breathe. For this same reason, you should not seal or wrap a cardboard box containing heirloom christening clothing. Never pack mothballs with your christening apparel since they can ruin fabric over time. Also avoid storing the christening suit or gown with metal items. If you have purchased a bracelet for your special occasion, you can find the perfect display frame at One Small Child.
- Label your storage container (if it is not already monogrammed) with a name and date.
- Store the christening outfit or christening gown in a dark, cool, dry place (for example, in a closet or under a bed). Avoid storing the box or bag in places where temperature or humidity may fluctuate seasonally (for example, a basement or attic). The ideal storage place has a relative humidity of 55 percent and a temperature of about 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Check your heirloom christening gown or christening outfit once in a while to ensure that it is maintaining its beauty. When you handle your christening heirloom, wear cotton gloves –- skin oils can discolor fabric.
- When you wish to use your treasured christening gown or christening outfit again, remove it from the storage container and air it out for several days. You may need to steam the item to remove wrinkles; iron only as a last resort, and only on a very low setting.
The milestones and special occasions of childhood come and go so quickly…sometimes they seem to pass in a blur. These events bring with them moments and memories you don’t want to forget. Ever. The softness of a rosy cheek, the curve of delicate lashes, the scent of baby skin, the feel of a tiny hand clasped in your own, the way your child looks like an angel in white finery. Some of the memories stay with you forever, many fade away.
A beautiful way to remember the day is to add personalization to the items worn or used by your child during the event. There are many options available for your selection at One Small Child:
- Select a cross, shamrock, monogram or baby’s name and date to be embroidered on the hem of a slip worn beneath the gown.
- Choose from our many embroidery options to be placed on a christening bib or in the corner of a christening blanket.
- Personalize a bodysuit worn beneath baby’s clothing with embroidery of your choice.
- Circle your child’s wrist with a gorgeous silver bracelet bearing his/her name.
- Carry a handkerchief monogrammed with your child’s initial.
Does your child wear the most common size of 7, 8, or 10 in First Communion dresses? Great! You’ll have no problem locating an appropriate gown for her. If she’s smaller or larger than the average, however, finding the perfect dress can be a bit of a challenge.
To accommodate those of you who may be in need of a less common size, we offer several styles beginning at size 5 (sometimes even smaller) and running up to size 16, as well as some styles offered in sizes 8+ to 16+. You can view all styles offered in plus sizes here.
To see which sizes are available when viewing the order page for each style, simply click the drop down arrow on the size selection field to view the sizes offered. Detailed size charts are available for each style featured. Questions? Drop us a line!